Saturday, November 12, 2016

It's Just Hot Air….God Has Got This!

“And hope does not put us to shame, because God’s love has been poured out into our hearts through the Holy Spirit, who has been given unto us.” Rom 5:5

“We are a people who just can't let it go. Sometimes I feel I am the worst offender. So often between my thoughts and my mouth there is a slope and words just fall out without any restraint. Last night I lost sleep. Questions of how and why immediately spewed from my mouth as I lay in the dark. I spoke quietly, so as not to wake anyone, but still loud enough fl the atmosphere to hear. It was everyone's fault. No one could turn back the years nor take back the words. I spent the hours trying to grab hope, but none came to view. And then night was over.

I told someone, unconvinced that I should for I knew nothing had been processed. The information had not been researched. Out it came and all of a sudden it morphed into anger about tolerance and laws and the injustice of a broken world. The events of the past week, a divided country and an unstable future both global and personal encapsulated into a few sentences at 6:30 AM, steam proceeding out of a freshly pierced heart. The strange thing that happened is that I realized it is not bleeding enough to need a tourniquet. I found that letting out the steam relieved the combustion. I also discovered that God has a stronger hold on my heart than I believed.

“My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever.” Psa 73:26.

Does anyone remember the account of Job? In his trial he expressed all that was in him.

“For my sighing cometh before I eat, and my roarings are poured out like the waters, for the thing which I greatly feared is come upon me, and that which I was afraid of is come unto me.  I was not in safety, neither had I rest, neither was I quiet; yet trouble came.” Job 3:24-26

Job didn't hear the exchange of words between God and Satan, that he was hand-chosen by God, not because He thought Job was strong, but because He knew His strength would be revealed by Job's obedience. Some of his statements were steam. He was in safety. He was in the hands of God. Nothing was going to take his life. And nothing will take mine if that is what God has ordained. And if I be taken from this earth, my life is still secure, for my soul is my real self and my destiny is in Christ.

I am learning that the results of obedience show up where we least expect it. We can never experience what is possible for God to accomplish through us until we are willing to acknowledge and face the impossible with obedience. It is not easily learned, the steam escapes often, but peace that passes understanding in another area might be the confirmation you need in the place you are struggling.

And the night is over, and hope once again pours through.

1 comment:

  1. Mary, I don't know your pain but my email is hopehearthome@gmail.com and I've lived through a few unexpected heartaches in my day (I'm 66). Come visit me, #14 at FMF ENJOY this week (11.19.2016)

    ReplyDelete