Thursday, June 7, 2018

Let Someone Else Take The Picture

Polka-dots (thoughts in process, may be a bit scattered as I listen and learn)

Isn't a picture of yourself telling more of others than of you? I got 40 likes so far on my most recent profile picture. That may not be a lot to some, but I don't post a lot of anything on Facebook and when I do, very few respond. But my picture now makes me think no one has ever seen my face before. It makes me laugh.

It is true, I am not very photogenic. It takes a total candid pose and someone else at the camera to bring out a desired and acceptable look. Only someone else can make you look good.

Isn't that true outside of the camera? It seems the harder we try to look good., act good, be good, excel, succeed, win and be noticed, the more it feels like people are deaf and invisible. Our attention then becomes set on our own evaluations of us and our efforts and how to do even better. We are,  subconsciously perhaps, focusing in the wrong place for approval.

It is a fine line in the sand where to place yourself within the margins of totally seeking approval and having an “I don’t care” attitude. I find myself often wandering between the two extremes. There has to be effort somewhere and obedience to what is true and the natural, moral laws of consequence.

It is easy to see others and tell them exactly what is wrong with their life, isn't it? I would love to write your story. But, sorry, I can only write my own. God shows me my own faults as I submit and listen to Him. He will give me my own testimony, not yours. I may see a glimpse of God working in you, but if you don't see it, I can't make you respond to it. I can take the picture, only you can choose whether to post it.

Let another man praise thee, and not thine own mouth; a stranger, and not thine own lips. Pr 27:2



No comments:

Post a Comment