Friday, February 2, 2018

With Whom Do I Agree



Fmf word this week is agree.

//So often my silence speaks what and who I agree with much more than
my words.

Saul was in hearty agreement with putting him to death. And on that day a great persecution began against the church in Jerusalem, and they were all scattered throughout the regions of Judea and Samaria, except the apostles. Acts 8:1

 But Ananias answered, “Lord, I have heard from many about this man, how much evil he has done to your saints at Jerusalem. And here he has authority from the chief priests to bind all who call on your name.”  But the Lord said to him, “Go, for he is a chosen instrument of mine to carry my name before the Gentiles and kings and the children of Israel. For I will show him how much he must suffer for the sake of my name.” Acts 9:13-16

Sooner or later God has His way no matter with whom I may agree. Saul's agreement with putting Stephen to death threw a grenade that blasted the Jews right out of their familiar surroundings. The Gospel was thrust into unchartered territory. Philip began preaching and even Simon the magician believed and was baptized.

I continue to be astonished at what some people, especially Christians, compromise in this world...and I also. I am blindsided by my own opinions too often and fail to consider that God knows exactly what He is doing. His plan has a much further expanse into each life than I ever could see.//

I am reading through Proverbs with other Christian women. I am amazed at how lax I have been in paying attention to the words of this great book as a whole. It is a concert of godly instruction.  When people say we don't come with instructions,  I firmly disagree. We do. It is called the Bible. And Proverbs is given for every situation I could be faced with. But are they just words to agree vocally with? No,  if I give them no thought in my actual daily dealings and thinking, then am I really agreeing with them? Or are like mantle pieces I may take off my mind's shelf from time to time to impress.

Saul agreed to have Christians slaughtered. Later He agreed with God and suffered as he had once made others suffer,  but with a blessed purpose. We can stop agreeing with the enemy,  in whatever form that takes on,  and we can begin to agree with God. Either way there will be suffering in the end. Either way God’s plan will prevail. I would rather suffer with the people of God. “For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory that is to be revealed in us”. Rom 8:18

1 comment:

  1. I am also reading nuggets from Proverbs each evening before I go to sleep...and I'm surprised how easily I can gloss over familiar words/verses/wisdom. I don't want to become lax or too casual - but want to soak in His wisdom for every need in my life.

    ReplyDelete