Friday, April 21, 2017

Skipped a week but back now with kate Motaung fmf and some awesome writers. The word is “Sing”

Sing to the Lord

“O sing unto the LORD a new song: sing unto the LORD, all the earth. Sing unto the LORD, bless his name; shew forth his salvation from day to day”. PS 96:1,2

It's a passion of mine, to sing; not necessarily to be a “singer” professionally. I have never received the training for that. Just to sing for the Lord awakens something within me. I don't just sing “because I'm happy and free”, like the old hymn states.  I sing when I'm sad, fearful, confused, lonely and when I don't think I can take another step. I have sung with elation as well as in tears.

I spent years singing in my church. I sang at my mother's funeral, probably the hardest thing I ever did. It was a request of hers. She never got the opportunity to actually sit and listen to me when she was alive. We didn't live in close proximity. Singing was one of her favorite things, despite the fact she was tone deaf. We teased her while growing up, but she didn't much care. It was her joyful noise to the Lord.

What other audible language can touch and unify so many? It is universal. Music is everywhere and it is as old as mankind. Singers preceded and ended battles in the Bible. Weddings, births and deaths are signified by song.

Angels are recorded as singing and praising God at creation (Job 38:7), Christ’s birth (Lk 2:13-14), and in Heaven (Rev 5:11-13). We are instructed “Speaking to yourselves in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord” (,Eph 5:19).

   Melody takes words and creates a current upward to God.

Currents flow downward.When we release our words that weigh heavy on our hearts, they become light in God's hands. Whether hymns, Scripture, contemporary or something you make up yourself, don't forget to sing.

Life just ain’t worth livin' without a song!

7 comments:

  1. Life just ain’t worth livin' without a song! Keep singing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. nice to meet you mary. i think we were thinking along some similar lines when we wrote our posts:) i'm at slot 58 today. enjoyed your post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy to stop by and "hear" your words. I've always loved Eph. 5:19. The way I read it, some of our singing is a way of speaking to ourselves. May your heart always be filled with song! #51 on FMF.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this, Mary. Though I do NOT sing, I have music in my heart...generally Creedence.

    OK, some Buffalo Springfield, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How beautifully you have captured the spirit and inestimable
    value of song! I identify with so much in this post, which is a real keeper. (I think I might print it out and keep it in hard copy.) I especially like your mentioning how song expresses not just joy but also sorrow and trouble for you. Me too. One of my favorite hymns is "Jesus, Lover of My Soul." When I am "down" I often sing it to Him, and oh, how it connects us!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh yes... this: 'Melody takes words and creates a current upward to God.' So good!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful thing to learn about you, friend! This comment is for last week. I'll catch up with this week's soon. Have a great weekend. #fmfparty

    ReplyDelete