Tuesday, March 8, 2016

Hope For The Wounded

"But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed. Is 53:5 (KJV)

Wounds of the heart like wounds in our flesh are open spaces where impurities enter and breed infection and spread. If not curtailed they are deadly.

The dining room was decorated for Valentine's Day. Red roses were on every table. The chef had prepared a dinner of Shrimp Crepes and Filet Mignon. All but a few of the tables were full. I walked up to an elderly woman sitting alone and extended my hand, smiled, introduced myself and asked her name. Immediately in a very loud and abrupt tone she told me it was none of my business. I tried another approach but was cut off before I could finish my sentence. I apologized and walked away, a little taken back and bewildered. Later I was told she was like that to everyone. No one would go near her.

I think about her and the wounds she must carry. I think of the many wounded people I know and the billions I don't know. I think of my own.

And then I think of Jesus and His. He was wounded long before He went to the cross. Every mockery, every slander, every disbelieving heart, every scheme to discredit Him brought a wound. He suffered everything we suffer.

There is the account of Lazarus in John 11. He was sick. Mary and Martha had gotten word to Jesus and He waited an extra 2 days before beginning his journey. Now when He finally arrived they were mourning his death, 4 days in the tomb. If only He had come earlier their brother would have been healed. Jesus was their friend. They knew of the resurrection in the last day. They knew and believed the miracles. Why couldn''t they be one of them? They surely thought he let them down.

What good is hearing of the miracles when you believe you'll never be the miracle?

We rejoice when we see the hand of God in other places, but sometimes it makes our wounds more pronounced.

Every negative feeling, every bullying word ... you feel it wound.
Every expectation that failed to deliver, every lost opportunity ... you feel it spread.
Every broken relationship, every fading dream ... you feel it sting.

If only I had made different decisions...
    If only I had waited, or not waited...
       If only I had listened...
          If only i could be healed...

The if onlies widen the wound and can spread the infection of lsolation.

"Is their no balm in gilead? is there no physician there? why then is there no healing for the wound of my people? Jer 8:22

Gilead was a region east of jordan known for its rich supply of medicinal herbs and spices. both jeremiah and isaiah prophesized there would be none for the heart. is 1:6 from the sole of your foot to the top of your head there is no soundness— only wounds and welts and open sores, not cleansed or bandaged or soothed with olive oil.

The center of your thinking, all emotions, reactions and motives revolve around your heart.

With every heartache the wound opens wider and is prone to more infection.

He was wounded as us and for us that he might heal us. 

"He was wounded for our transgressions". for every unsolicited and unlawful action we have ever taken, his body and mind and heart was wounded. he didn't want to leave us without hope. he took on not only our sins, but also the effect of sins, the wounds.

"But because of his great love for us, god, who is rich in mercy, made us alive with christ even when we were dead in transgressions. it is by grace you have been saved." Eph 2:4,5

Jesus was demonstrating salvation to mary and martha.
i am the resurrection and the life. he who believes in me shall never die. do you believe?

There he was, dead. and then jesus said "lazarus, come forth". death, burial and resurrection, all three, to demonstrate what it takes to release us from the damaging effect of the wounds.

We start forming wounds from the womb. there is no escape. we are in a body that feels and absorbs every emotion. but there is christ, who was wounded for us and arose to declare victory and release of it's control.
our wounds do not have to destroy us. we can in our weakness look to his strength. when we keep them it is not us having control, but them having control of us. let them go and thrive.


My one word this week - Wounded

OneWordCoffee Linkup

2 comments:

  1. Hi, I post at BettieGsRAseasons, & I am one of your neighbors over at TheFaithBarista link-up today. Thank you for your beautiful reminders! Your thoughts from the verses in Jeremiah made me think of the old hymn, "There is a Balm in Gilead, to cure the sin sick soul." I love those passages in Isaiah & Jeremiah that speak of His healing for us. Isn't He so good to remind us just when we most need it! Blessings to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi- Thanks for these thoughts this morning- This stuck out to me "We rejoice when we see the hand of God in other places, but sometimes it makes our wounds more pronounced." I struggle with that wondering when my or one of my loved ones miracle will be-Thank you for encouraging and reminding me to give our wounds to Jesus and allow Him to work and bring the healing we need. Thanks for these thoughts today!!

    ReplyDelete