Saturday, December 31, 2016

Seeing the Eternal While Stuck in Time

Here we are on the brink of 2017. I have spent some time reflecting on the whole of the past year. Looking at a glance it leaves a bad taste in my mouth. “Good, be gone!” is my mantra “Let’s get on to better things”. Then I realize that things don't just begin and end with a calendar date. My issues are still with me. Tomorrow is another day in time with a new number attached to it. So with that epiphany I again look back to see the specifics of my life's circumstances.

I see a hard year filled with loss, sorrow, confusion, disappointment and broken relationships.  Along side of these I have also seen healing, growth, joy, new friendships made and old friendships strengthened.  Looking at the whole I see the necessity, maybe not clear in the details, but in the whole of it all. Sometimes we have to look away from time to see an eternal perspective.

God has placed time inside eternity and us inside time. Eternity is a continuum, a nonspacial order in which beginning and end cannot be discovered in our human understanding.

 “In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth” Gen1:1
“I am the Alpha and the Omega, the beginning and the ending, says the Lord God, “who is, and who was, and who is to come, the Almighty.” Rev 1:8

These two scriptures together tell me that in Christ the heavens and earth were created. The only beginning is Christ. The only ending is Christ.

He is not bound by time Psa 93:2
He is not dictated to by time Psa 31:15
He is not competing with time Psa 75:2
Time is a gift for us Eccl 3:1 – 11

So, am I making resolutions? No, I see folly there, setting myself up to fail. Am I looking more at goals to advance toward? That sounds better and more doable.

My main goal is to slow down. This one is hard but I think now more will be accomplished at a slower rate. This means no more five minute writing. I realize my inexperience.

I have a goal of reading to completion 6 books. Anyone who knows me knows the struggle I have with completing a task.

Cutting down dramatically the social media, an addiction for me. Realizing I can be alone and content will be a task.

Okay, 3 goals that I am setting my sights on. I don't have to view the past year with any other perspective than an eternal one. That is my hope. He will work things out in His eternal plan while working in time through me.

Was it a hard year? Oh yes! But all these things have brought me to a different place. It is all His plan to bring me to a hopeful place, where time is not my only view.

Happy  New Year to all.


No comments:

Post a Comment