Saturday, March 31, 2018

God meets Me in the Middle

Writing on the word "settle" linked with fiveminutefriday.com


“Once you were alienated from God and were enemies in your minds because of[ your evil behavior.  But now he has reconciled you by Christ’s physical body through death to present you holy in his sight, without blemish and free from accusation if you continue in your faith, established and firm, and do not move from the hope held out in the gospel. This is the gospel that you heard and that has been proclaimed to every creature under heaven, and of which I, Paul, have become a servant. Col 1:19-23

Today is Saturday,  the day after Good Friday and the day before Easter. I am thinking about the disciples and deliverance and being settled in between. Oh the Christian now can be settled. We know the history. We have the Holy Spirit who is our witness and comforter.

Are we always settled? I'm not. I just peeked at a few things that happened after the crucifiction. Mary Magdalene and Mary, the mother of James and Joses were looking from a distance to see where He was laid. They sat across from the grave, I'm sure in great grief,  but also I suspect they were figuring a plan. When they returned home they and some other women prepared spices and perfumes. My question is, how did they expect to get on the other side of that stone?

The Sabbath was the next day. It was Jewish law they could do nothing but rest. I know that grief sometimes buffers anxiety. In grief everything seems to slow down. There's not the energy for any adrenaline surge in any direction.

Do you remember the story of Daniel? King Darius was deceived into issuing a law that anyone found serving any other King for 30 days would be cast into the lion's den. His governors of his kingdom hated Daniel and knew he prayed to God. So he was caught and it was told to the King. This upset him but there was nothing he could do to revoke the law. He said to Daniel “The God who you constantly serve will himself deliver you. A stone was brought and laid over the mouth of the den and the King sealed it with his own signet ring and with the signet rings of his nobles so that nothing would be changed in regard to Daniel.” Dan 6:16-17. The rest of the story? God shut the mouths of the lions and delivered Daniel.

I see a few similarities here.

What do I do when I see my hopes hanging, bleeding out before me. And there are laws, either of the land or of my own making that cannot change. Can I be settled knowing that God will deliver me? There are things that I cannot change, and things that can never be undone. But I can continue in faith and don't move from hope of the gospel.

These are just a few thoughts to get us thinking in this journey of ours.

2 comments:

  1. "There are things that I cannot change, and things that can never be undone. But I can continue in faith and don't move from hope of the gospel." Amen! We can trust our God to be faithful. Blessings to you! I'm your neighbor at #FiveMinuteFriday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gayle for reading and commenting. Happy Easter and many blessings!

      Delete